Trace Genomics Farm Data Privacy and Protection Policy
- Ownership: Farmers own the farm data generated on their farm operations. This includes farm data that we or others have generated or collected with respect to the farmer’s own operations, but does not include intermediate data sets or analyses, or anonymized or publicly available data.
- Farmer responsibility: Farmers must ensure that they only provide us farm data that they own or have permission to use. It is the responsibility of the farmer and the farmer’s service providers to agree upon farm data use and sharing with any other stakeholders that may have an economic interest, such as the tenant, landowner, cooperative, owner of precision agriculture system hardware, agriculture technology provider and/or others.
- Transparency and consistency: We collect, store, analyze, and use farm data in order to provide soil analysis and other services to farmers and their service providers.
- Anonymized and publicly available farm data: We may anonymize farm data that we have developed, or that is provided by the farmer and/or service providers, and may use, aggregate, and share such anonymized or aggregated data for the purpose of improving our service and otherwise, so long as such data does not identify the farmer’s particular business and is not presented in such a way that allows the farmer’s business to be identified.
- Portability: Farmers can retrieve their farm data (as defined herein) for storage or use in other systems, with the exception of the data that has been made anonymous or aggregated and is no longer specifically identifiable. The farmer may retrieve the farm data provided by or to the farmer and the farmer’s service providers, in its original or equivalent format.
- Data retention and availability: We will keep farm data and make it available upon request to the farmer and/or the farmer’s service provider during the term of our services and for at least two years thereafter.
- Contract termination: Farmers can discontinue a service or halt the collection of farm data at any time subject to appropriate ongoing obligations, as defined in our contract with the farmer and/or the farmer’s service provider.
- Unlawful or anti-competitive activities: We will not use farm data for unlawful or anti-competitive activities, such as to speculate in commodity markets.
- Security safeguards: We protect farm data using reasonable security safeguards against risks such as loss or unauthorized access, destruction, use, modification, or disclosure. We will notify the farmer and/or the farmer’s service provider and take prompt remedial response in the event of a breach. In the case of third-party technology providers that may not sign individual farm-data privacy contracts with us, we will undertake to use only recognized third-party technology providers to process farm data if they maintain security safeguards consistent with industry standards.
- Liability limitations: Given that information security is a rapidly changing area, where risks are constantly evolving and new security risks regularly appear quickly and without warning, our liability for theft, loss, or unauthorized access or use of farm data shall in no case exceed the fees paid to us by the farmer or the farmer’s service provider during the previous one (1) year. Liability limitations may be specified further in the contract we enter into with the farmer and/or the farmer’s service providers.